Markov transition (chain) models are used within land use models to model non-spatial events such as:
- Household socio-demographic changes (except household relocation)
- Real estate renovation and deterioration
- Firmographic changes (except firm relocation)
The use of Markov transition models within land use models is discussed in more detail here.
Please see the following external resources for more general information on Markov transition models.
- For a visual demo of Markov transition models, see https://setosa.io/ev/markov-chains/ (opens new window)
- For a more detailed explanation of Markov transition models, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markov_chain (opens new window)