This page is open for editing because it is part of the Incubator. Have something to add? Please register so you can contribute. Have an option you would like to share? Please click on the 'Talk' button to enter the dialogue. The TF Resource Volunteers appreciate your feedback and interest.
- 1 Challenges in Travel Model Software Development
- 2 Best Practices in Travel Model Software Development
Challenges in Travel Model Software Development
Travel model development presents a unique set of challenges in software development, including:
- the need to interface with other software like land use models, dynamic traffic assignment, air quality models, and simulation
- reading and writing large matrix datasets
- teams including members throughout government, consulting, and academia, located all over the world
- the need to recode estimation variables into application code, often between two languages
- various programming skills levels of developers and users
- statistical models that cannot generally be understood without training by a generic software developer
- run times must be fast to satisfy customer needs
- results must be replicable and stable, even while involving random number generation
All these challenges reinforce the need for the field to adopt software development best practices.
Best Practices in Travel Model Software Development
Using source control
Write programs for people, not computers
Automate Repetitive Tasks
Make Incremental Changes
Writing unit tests
optimizing software after it works
don’t repeat yourself in code
Please see: Best Practices for Scientific Computing for more information.